860.563.2891 or 800.300.9128
21 New Britain Ave.  Suite 201 Rocky Hill, CT 06067

Family Law

  Send Us a Question

When two people get together, it’s always with the hope that it will be “happily ever after”.  Unfortunately, things don’t always work out that way, and sometimes our laborers find that they need to be in family court to work out these difficult issues.    While we can’t get you back to “happily ever after”, we can make sure that you have legal representation and advice, and we can help you negotiate the court system and the laws as they apply to families.  Here are some of the areas of family law where we can help you:

Divorce/Legal Separation:
When you or your spouse have decided that you simply can’t go on together, we can represent you in a divorce (or a legal separation) to terminate your legal connection, and to establish fair orders regarding your property, your children and family financial support.   Marriages are complicated financial partnerships, and we will work with you to review your family’s finances and how they will likely look after a divorce.  Sadly, no one is financially better off following a divorce, but the laws attempt to make sure that, if there are children, they stay as close to their standard of living as possible, and that the parents divide their assets and income in a way that’s fair.   If you need our advice and representation on a divorce (or legal separation), please call our office and make an appointment.  This is a serious legal step, and it should be discussed in person with one of our attorneys.

Child Support:
All parents are required to support their children.   The court will establish one parent as the “custodial” parent but they do not (usually) have any greater rights regarding the children than the non-custodial parent, they are simply charged with providing the children’s day to day care.    The non-custodial parent pays to the custodial parent an order of child support.  The amount of that order is determined by the State of Connecticut’s Child Support Guidelines

(http://www.jud.ct.gov/Publications/ChildSupport/2005CSguidelines.pdf).  If you have a child support case, either as the person paying support or as the person collecting support, contact our office for advice and guidance, and for representation at court, if necessary.

Modifications and Contempt
Your divorce, custody or support judgment may be final, but it’s not really FINAL.  Your circumstances, or the other party’s circumstances, may change after the final hearing, which may lead one of you to return to court for a modification.   A modification is a change to the orders that were set up at the time of your final hearing.   You can’t modify the way you divided up your property in a divorce, but you can modify custody, child support, and usually, alimony.  If you’ve been served with a motion to modify contact our office.  If you are eligible for our services we can represent you in court.  If you think that your circumstances have changed and that you need to modify your orders call to discuss your situation with one of our staff.

You may also find yourself in a situation where you’ve been served with a motion for contempt, or you may need to bring a contempt motion against your former spouse.  A contempt motion is brought when a party has not obeyed the court’s orders.

Copyright 2013